Last few years embellished clothes were getting attention from the fashion crowd and this year it seems like this trend is hitting its peak. Wherever you look, the chances are you will see something embellished. From trousers, to tops to outwear, embellished clothes are literally everywhere. Brands are really going overboard this year so it is hard to ignore it. There is nothing wrong with it. In fact, I am a huge fan of embellished clothes. The problem is, if you are not careful with your choices, you can easily end up looking very overdressed or just your clothes are wearing you instead of other way round.
So here is my question to you. Where and how do you wear embellished clothes? Maybe you are working 9-5 in an office where standards are very clearly set for serious looks? The halls are full of people with suits. Do you think you can get away with appliques all over your clothes?
Well I happen to think that if you judge it well, you can wear it even it the “stuffy” office. Even if you would have to wait till casual Friday for that. So to help you, here are the key rules of how to wear embellished clothes without looking overdressed.
6 rules how to wear embellished clothes:
- So, the golden rule of all. THE LESS IS MORE! It really is a good idea to follow this “cliché” as you don’t want to end up looking like a badly decorated cake.
- If you are buying your embellished clothes for the first time, go for darker basic fabric. It will tone down any embellishment so you wouldn’t need to worry about shining far too much.
- Go for the top, like t-shirt or shirt. The reason is, then in case you would feel it is too much you can cover it with cardigan or blazer.
- Embellished clothes attract a lot of attention. So this can work both ways. To get the attention where you want but also it can help you to take it away from where you don’t want it. WIN-WIN, right?
- Keep your accessories to minimum. You already have a lot going on, so you don’t need more. Less is more, remember?
- My last rule. Think about where are you going. This sounds quite obvious, but still wanted to make this clear. You can wear embellished clothes pretty much anywhere you want BUT PLEASE judge it well. I know, being different and standing out is great, but still….
My embellished clothes:
Personally I love embellished clothes, but not over the top. Usually I would always choose just one piece of the clothing to be embellished. The sweatshirt is from Zara and for me it is perfect for upgrading casual sporty look. I wanted to make the sequins stand out a little so decided to go with black jeans. I wore yellow spring coat to enhance a little bit of a colour. The rest of the accessories I kept very simple with black Bottega Veneta bag and black Christian Louboutin pumps.
Bag: Bottega Veneta, Sweatshirt: Zara, Jeans: Gucci, Shoes: Christian Louboutin, Coat: Zara, Earrings: Chanel, Sunglasses: Michael Kors
So will you give it a try and treat yourself with some embellished clothes?
have a lovely day